Dr. Peña then completed his fellowship in Reproductive Endocrinology and Infertility at the prestigious Columbia University College of Physicians and Surgeons, where he stayed on as an Assistant Professor at the Center for Women’s Reproductive Care. He currently holds an appointment as a Clinical Assistant Professor of Obstetrics & Gynecology at the New York College of Osteopathic Medicine. Dr. Peña is board certified in Obstetrics and Gynecology and Reproductive Endocrinology/Infertility and has numerous publications in peer-reviewed journals. Dr. Peña is a member of the American Society for Reproductive Medicine, the Society for Reproductive Endocrinology and Infertility, the American Congress of Obstetricians & Gynecologists, and the Obstetrical and Gynecological Society of Suffolk County. Dr. Peña has been named annually to Castle Connolly's Top Doctors™ and the New York Super Doctors® lists over the past several years.
"In college I contracted Guillain-Barré Syndrome, a paralyzing autoimmune disorder. After six weeks in ICU and then a year-long rehabilitation, I realized that I was drawn to the field of medicine. Having been a patient myself, I know the importance of having a caring and competent physician."
- 2000 – 2003: Reproductive Endocrinology & Infertility Fellowship, Columbia University College of Physicians & Surgeons, New York, New York
- 1996 – 2000: Obstetrics & Gynecology Residency, Pennsylvania Hospital, Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
- 1992 – 1996: Doctor of Medicine, New York University School of Medicine, New York, New York
- Reproductive Endocrinology
- In Vitro Fertilization (IVF)
- Ovulation induction +/- Intrauterine Insemination (IUI)
- Fertility Preservation
- Oocyte Cryopreservation
- Preimplantation Genetic Testing (PGT)
- Recurrent Pregnancy Loss
- LGBTQ Reproductive Options
- 2007 – present: The Obstetrical and Gynecological Society of Suffolk County
- 2007 – present: Suffolk County Medical Society/Medical Society State of New York
- 2000 – present: American Society for Reproductive Medicine
- 2000 – present: The Society for Reproductive Endocrinology & Infertility
- 2022 – 2025: Adjunct Clinical Assistant Professor of Reproductive Endocrinology and Infertility, New York College of Osteopathic Medicine
- 2012 – 2022: Clinical Assistant Professor of Obstetrics & Gynecology, New York College of Osteopathic Medicine
- 2005 – present: Good Samaritan Hospital Medical Center Ob-Gyn Residency Reproductive Endocrinology and Infertility Lecture Series
- 2005 – present: Northwell at Plainview Hospital and Syosset Hospital
Research & Publications
Chu MC, Peña JE, Nakhuda GS, Thornton MH, Sauer MV. Assessing the reproductive performance of men co-infected with HIV-1 and Hepatitis C undergoing assisted reproduction. Arch Gynecol Obstet 2006;274(3):155-9.
Nakhuda GS, Peña JE, Sauer MV. Deaths of HIV-positive men in the context of assisted reproduction: five case studies from a single center.
AIDS Patient Care STDS. 2005 Nov;19(11):712-8.
Chu MC, Peña JE, Thornton MH, Sauer MV. Assessing the treatment efficacy of IVF with intracytoplasmic sperm injection in human immunodeficiency virus-1 (HIV-1) serodiscordant couples. Reprod Biomed Online 2005 Jan;10(1):130-134.
Weenen C, Peña JE, Pollak S, Klein J, Lobel L, Trousdale RK, Palmer S, Lustbader EG, Ogden RT, Lustbader JW. Long-acting follicle-stimulating hormone analogs containing N-linked glycosylation exhibited increased bioactivity compared with O-linked analogs in female rats. J Clin Endocrinol Metab 2004;89(10)5204-12.
Cleary J, Peña JE, Robinson D, Sauer MV. Obstetrical outcomes in human immunodeficiency virus serodiscordant couples undergoing in vitro fertilization. Am J Perinatol 2003;20(6):305-11.
Barhnart KT, Rinaudo P, Hummel A, Peña JE, Sammel MD, Chittams J. Acute and chronic presentation of ectopic pregnancy may be two clinical entities. Fertil Steril 2003;80(6):1345-51.
Peña JE, Thornton MH, Sauer MV. Assessing the clinical utility of in vitro fertilization with intracytoplasmic sperm injection in human immunodeficiency virus-1 serodiscordant couples: Report of 113 consecutive cycles. Fertil Steril 2003;80(2):356-362.
Peña JE, Thornton MH, Sauer MV. Preliminary experience offering oocyte donation to human immunodeficiency virus-1 serodiscordant couples. Arch Gynecol Obstet 2003;268(3):202-5.
Peña JE, Thornton MH, Sauer MV. Complications of in vitro fertilization with intracytoplasmic sperm injection in human immunodeficiency virus serodiscordant couples. Arch Gynecol Obstet 2003;268(3):198-201.
Peña JE, Thornton MH, Sauer MV. Reversible azoospermia: Anabolic steroids may profoundly affect human immunodeficiency virus seropositive men undergoing assisted reproduction. Obstet Gynecol 2003;101(5):1073-5
Klein J, Peña JE, Thornton MH, Sauer MV. Understanding the motivations, concerns, and desires of HIV-1 serodiscordant couples wishing to have children through assisted reproduction. Obstet Gynecol 2003;101(5):987-94
Peña JE, Klein J, Thornton MH, Sauer MV. Providing assisted reproductive care to male haemophiliacs infected with human immunodeficiency virus: Preliminary experience. Haemophilia 2003;9(3):309-16
Peña JE, Chang PL, Thornton MH, Sauer MV. Serum estradiol levels after four days of ovarian hyperstimulation in oocyte donors are predictive of embryo quality and clinical outcomes. Gynecol Obstet Invest 2002;54(4):207-12.
Peña JE, Klein J, Chang PL, Thornton MH, Sauer MV. Successive pregnancies with delivery of two healthy infants in a couple who was discordant for human immunodeficiency virus infection. Fertil Steril 2002;78:421-3.
Peña JE, Chang PL, Chan LK, Zeitoun K, Thornton MH, Sauer MV. Supraphysiological estradiol levels do not affect oocyte and embryo quality in oocyte donation cycles. Hum Reprod 2002;17(1):83-7.
Peña JE, Ufberg D, Denis A. Role of doppler sonography in the diagnosis of ovarian torsion. Fertil Steril 2000;73(5):1047-50.
Peña JE, Sauer MV. Treatment of HIV Discordant Couples. Office Andrology. Chapter 17. pp 255-266. Humana Press. April 2005.
ISBN: 1-59259-876-5 Series: Contemporary Endocrinology
- 2014 – 2023: Selected to the Castle Connolly's Top Doctors™
- 2014 – 2023: Named to the prestigious New York Super Doctors® list
- 2013: 2013 Most Compassionate Doctor (Patient’s Choice, Vitals)
- 2013: 2013 Patients’ Choice Award (Vitals.com)
- 2013: HealthTap+ Top Reproductive Endocrinologist, New York (Summer 2013, Winter 2013)
- 2002: Pacific Coast Reproductive Society Poster Award
- 2000: Pennsylvania Hospital CREOG Award
- 2000: Pennsylvania Hospital OB/GYN Administrator Award